August 12, September 9: Fishing Regs Changes
The Arizona Game and Fish Department is seeking public input on proposed changes to the 2023-24 Arizona fishing regulations. There are four proposed changes:
- Opening the upper portion of the south fork of the Little Colorado River to catch-and-release angling for Apache trout including a seasonal angling closure.
- Creating a catch-and-release only fishery for all fish species at Lower Goldwater Lake.
- Expanding the current catch-and-release section of Oak Creek and the west fork of Oak Creek for all species of trout.
- Continuing catch-and-release only on all fish species at Cluff Ranch Pond #3, excluding rainbow trout.
Written comments can be submitted by email to email@example.com through Aug. 12, 2022. Comments can also be submitted by U.S. mail to Arizona Game and Fish Department, Attn: Andy Clark, 5000 W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85086.
The proposed regulation changes are scheduled to be presented to the Arizona Game and Fish Commission at its public meeting Sept. 9, 2022, in Pinetop, Ariz. An agenda will be posted in advance of the meeting at https://www.azgfd.com/agency/commission/.
August 12: Arizona Wildlife Views Photo Contest
One best in show and 11 first-place winners will be showcased in the 2023 calendar, which is published in the November-December 2022 issue of Arizona Wildlife Views. The best-in-show photo is published on the calendar’s cover, and as one of the photos representing a month.
We’re partnering with Arizona Highways to provide an easier way to submit photographs. Use the online form at https://www.arizonahighways.com/photography/photo-contest to submit your Arizona wildlife photos. Each contestant may submit a maximum of three photographs, which must be uploaded as separate submissions through the form.
This contest is for images of Arizona wildlife. All photos must depict wildlife native to and found in Arizona, and all photos must have been taken in Arizona settings.
Please review the Official Rules prior to entering. Entrants are responsible for complying with the Official Rules or may result in disqualification. The deadline is 5 p.m. (Arizona time) on Aug. 12, 2022. Winners will be announced online at https://www.azgfd.com/media/publications/photocontest/ and https://www.arizonahighways.com/ after Nov. 1, 2022.
August 19- Sept. 8, Dec. 9-31, Jan. 1-3, 2023: Changes For Archery Deer Hunters
Archery deer hunters: AZGFD makes changes to over-the-counter, nonpermit-tag opportunity
Arizona’s over-the-counter, nonpermit-tag archery deer hunting opportunity will continue for the 2022-2023 hunts, but harvest limits have been set by unit and by species.
A few reminders:
- Season dates for over-the-counter, nonpermit-tag archery deer seasons vary by unit and may be: Aug. 19-Sept. 8, 2022; Dec. 9-31, 2022; and/or Jan. 1-31, 2023. Not all units will be open for all time frames; hunters should check the status of harvest limits online.
For more information, view the “2022-2023 Arizona Hunting Regulations” at https://www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Regulations/.
August 24, January 21, 2023 : Nominations Sought
The Arizona Game and Fish Commission is soliciting nominations for the 2022 Commission Awards. Nominations can be submitted online; the submission deadline is Aug. 24, 2022.
The Arizona Game and Fish Commission will select the 2022 Commission Award recipients at its Sept. 9, 2022 meeting. The awards will be presented at the annual Arizona Game and Fish Commission Awards Banquet to be held on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2023, at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort, 11111 N. 7th Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85020.
Through December 2022: Kayak Fishing Tournament
Southwest Kayaks Fishing Open Championship
Experience kayak bass fishing in this amazing open fishing tournament series featuring a $20 buy-in and a 100 percent payout! The tournaments are held the first Saturday of every month!
- There is a $20 entry fee to participate in cash only upon registration (pre-registration or online registration is not an option)
- First three positions place: First Place awarded 50% payout; Second 30% payout; Third 20% payout. Each receives a Award. Each placing winner has the responsibility to share at least one successful technique that led to their catch with other participants as part of the educational purpose of this event.
Registration is at Southwest Outfitters, 159 Paseo Del Sol, LHC
For more information: Southwest Kayaks Facebook page, 928.680.9257, firstname.lastname@example.org, swkoutfitters.com .
Coconino County Parks & Recreation is hosting the 73rd annual Coconino County Fair on Labor Day Weekend Sept. 2 through 5 at Fort Tuthill County Park. The County Fair is an annual community event where adult and youth alike showcase their interests and hobbies by exhibiting livestock animals and handicrafts. There will also be live entertainment throughout each day, carnival rides, fair food, games, vendors, and much more!
For more information on the County Fair go to https://www.coconinocountyfair.com/ or call the Coconino County Parks & Recreation Department at 928-679-8000.