Quiz #3 Safety First! What’s Your Score?
Compiled By Tom Nunes
1. Before fueling a boat with a built-in fuel tank, you should:
- close all portholes, doors, and hatches.
- keep all smokers at least 3 feet away.
- turn on the bilge blower, if so equipped.
- open all portholes, doors, and hatches.
2. Under normal conditions, the recommended scope (length) of an anchor line should be approximately:
- 25: 1
3. In Arizona, watercraft are registered by —
- the Arizona Department of Transportation.
- the Arizona Game & Fish Department.
- the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- the county in which the owner resides.
4. Steering a Personal Watercraft (PWC) (aka: Jet Ski) involves turning a movable nozzle that directs a high-pressure stream of water either right or left, turning the boat to one side or the other. It is important to know that a PWC will turn only when the —
- engine is at operating temperature.
- jet pump is operating and pushing a stream of water.
- two rudders are in contact with the water.
- engine is turning at least 4,000 rpm.
5. In Arizona all engine driven watercraft —
- are not required to have a muffler-type device to control noise.
- must not emit engine noise above 125 decibels.
- does not make a lot of noise.
- must be equipped with a device to prevent excessive noise and shall not emit a sound level in excess of 86 decibels at 50 feet or more.
6. The skipper (operator) of a boat is obligated by law to provide assistance to any individual in danger at sea (including lakes) providing —
- assistance cannot be provided by someone else.
- assistance can be provided safely without endangering his own boat or crew.
- recipient is adequately insured.
- person in need agrees to financial remuneration.
7. The best fire extinguisher for a recreational boat is one that is Coast Guard approved and that will put out —
- A, B, and C fires.
- A and C fires only.
- carbon dioxide fires.
- Halon fires.
8. A sailboat with sails rigged and the engine running and in gear is a :
- power-driven vessel.
- vessel not under commander.
- vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver.
- fast vessel.
9. Which of the following is a true statement while boating in Arizona?
- It is illegal to allow a person to ride on the gunwales, transom, or decked over bow of a watercraft operated by machinery in excess of a wake-less speed.
- It’s ok to block a boat ramp in the winter since no one uses them in the winter.
- While water skiing, you only need a boat driver and do not need a ski flag.
- A watercraft with a 50 hp engine may have a sole operator who is 10 years old.
10. If you are caught on the water in bad weather, your first step should be to —
- Listen to the weather forecast.
- Pour water into the bilge to increase stability.
- Turn and head for shore at full speed.
- See that all people aboard are wearing life jackets.
Quiz #3 Safety First! Quiz Answers