Safety First! Whats Your Score?
Compiled By Tom Nunes
- Before fueling a boat with a built in fuel tank, you should
- Close all portholes, doors, and hatches.
- Keep all smokers at least 3 feet away.
- Turn on the bilge blower, if so equipped.
- Open all portholes, doors, and hatches.
- Constantly watch the wake of your boat, because
- You are responsible for injuries or damage to property by the wake of your boat.
- Your wake must never be more than 3 inches high.
- It can disturb the smooth operation of personal watercraft.
- You may see beautiful colors created by the oxidation of phosphorous in the water.
- When mooring and unmooring your boat, it is desirable to plan the procedure in advance and
- Give instructions in a loud, authoritative tone so that the crew will know who is in charge.
- Teach the crew how to keep the boat away from the pier using their arms and legs.
- Always operate your boat at cruising speed.
- Approach slowly against the wind or current for more control of your boat.
- The best fire extinguisher for a recreational boat is one that is Coast Guard approved and that will put out
- Paper, oil, and electrical fires.
- Paper and electrical fires only.
- Carbon dioxide fires.
- Halon fires.
- The skipper of a boat is obligated by law to provide assistance to any individual in danger at sea providing that the
- Assistance cannot be provided by someone else.
- Assistance can be provided safely without endangering his own boat or crew.
- Recipient is adequately insured.
- Person agrees to financial remuneration.
- When launching a sailboat with the mast raised at a launch area
- Just as on the water, a sailboat has priority privileges.
- Use a halyard to pull it off the trailer.
- Be certain that no overhead electrical wires come close to or in contact with the mast or rigging.
- Be careful not to tip the boat off the trailer.
- If there is an injury or death as the result of a boating accident in Arizona , a written accident report must be submitted to the Arizona Game & Fish Department within
- 5 days.
- 24 hours.
- 30 days.
- 48 hours.
- Personal watercraft (jet skis) may operate at night in Arizona if
- They have proper navigation lights.
- At least two people are aboard.
- When there is a full moon.
- Three factors affect the seaworthiness and safety of a boat: its design, construction materials, and
- Type of head.
- Which of the following statements is true with respect to boating in Arizona ?
- It is illegal to allow a person to ride on gunwales, the transom, or the decked over bow of a watercraft operated by machinery in excess of a wake-less speed.
- It is okay to block a boat ramp in winter since no one uses them.
- While water skiing, you only need a boat driver and do not need a ski flag.
- A watercraft with a 50 hp engine may have a sole operator who is 10 years old.