How Good A Boater Are You?
Margie Anderson has compiled these questions for boaters, and
yes, she has provided the answers below but hopes you wonít look
until AFTER you have finished her quiz.
1. Navigation lights are required
A. On a craft underway between sunset and sunrise.
B. When it is dark.
C. Only when other boats are around.
2. To operate a personal watercraft by yourself in Arizona you
3. A buoy with vertical orange and white stripes means
D. Donít go between here and shore
4. A buoy marked with a diamond with a cross between the points
B. No Wake
C. No Boats
5. You report a boating accident
A. If youíre at fault
B. If there is an injury
C. Whenever injury or property damage results from the accident.
6. Children must wear a personal flotation device when the boat
is underway if
A. They donít know how to swim
B. They are driving the boat.
C. They are twelve years old or younger.
7. Boat traffic on a lake moves
B. Down the middle
D. Whichever way you need to go
8. How many people do you need to water ski legally in Arizona?
9. Of the four types of PFDs, I, II, III, and IV, these two will
turn most unconscious wearers face up:
A. II and III
B. I and II
C. III and IV
10. These types of boats must have on board a type I, II, or III
PFD for each person on board:
A. All boats
B. All craft except sailboards
C. All craft except canoes
8. B (One skier, one operator, and one observer.)
Contact your local Coast Guard office or visit www.boatsafe.com
for free boating safety courses. In many cases, you will get a
substantial savings on your boat insurance after passing such a