Part Of Valley History, Sponsors Of Big Bass Days
many of our readers were born, 1927 to be precise, Bill Luke began a
business that has become a tradition in Phoenix and an integral part
of the Valley’s history. Luke started his business then with the
purchase of a Chrysler franchise, and he opened first downtown on
Today, Bill Luke Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge is a familiar fixture
at I-17 and Camelback and over the past two years has been
re-developed into an $18 million complex that includes indoor parts
department, detail shop, show room, body shop, and a restaurant that
is open to both employees and the public.
Bill Luke is known as an "Alpha Dealer," which means that the
dealership sells all products that Daimler/Chrysler sells, plus
offers full service and a body shop.
Big Bass Days: Family Oriented
Today, Don Luke, Bill’s son, owns Bill Luke Chrysler, Jeep, and
Dodge. He grew up in the business and has carried on and expanded
his father’s vision. Don is an avid fly fisherman and lists that and
his family as his main interests outside the business.
Arizona anglers look forward each year to Big Bass Days,
sponsored for nine years now by Bill Luke Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler.
The event is designed around family involvement and has included
kids’ activities, fireworks, and national acts, among other things —
all designed to keep the annual event a family oriented affair.
By the way, the big winners this year at Lake Pleasant were as
- Friday Big Fish: Charles Mills, $10,000, 10.10 lb.
- Friday Options: Charles Mills, $ 3,500, 10.10 lb.
- Alan Kaprelian $ 2,100, 8.96 lb.
- Jim Wood $ 1,400, 8.78 lb.
- Friday T-Shirt: Jeff Hudson $ 1,000, 4.42 lb.
- Friday 2 pound: Karen Scott $ 1,000, 2.00 lb.
- Saturday Big Fish: Jeff Begnoche $10,000, 11.07 lb.
- Saturday Options: Jeff Begnoche $ 3,250, 11.07 lb.; Richard
Steffen, $ 1,950, 10.28 lb.; Stephen Price, $ 1,300, 7.46 lb.
- Saturday T-Shirt: Jimmy Darst, $ 1,000, 3.08 lb.
- Saturday 2 pound: William Carr, $ 1,000, 2.00 lb.
- Sunday Big Fish: Tim Compise, $10,000, 8.74 lb.
- Sunday Options: Tim Compise, $ 2,475, 8.74 lb.; Mike Davidson,
$ 1,450, 8.72 lb.; Clayton Ross, $ 1,000, 7.10 lb.
- Sunday T-Shirt: Jerry Clark, $ 1,000, 3.56 lb.
- Sunday 2 pound: No one with a 2 lb.weight
- Bill Luke Dodge Bonus: Alan Kaprelian, $ 5,000, 8.96 lb.
- Ranger Boat Winner: Jeff Begnoche
- Voyager 16' pontoon boat, plus 9.9 Mercury raffle
winner: Jim Hudson.
In addition to fishing interests promoted by Bill Luke, RVers
have their support in the form of many fine Dodge trucks to pull
their trailers, campers, and toy haulers.
Bill Luke Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler is located at 2425 West
Camelback. Their phone is (602) 249-1234, and their Web site is